How to be a responsible pet owner
February is Responsible Pet Owners Month! We all love our pets, but what does it mean to be a responsible pet owner? Here are five tips to be the best pet owner you can be:
1. Do you research. Understand that pet ownership is a serious responsibility. Don’t buy pets on a whim or as a gift without prior discussion. Consider the time and money you can invest on a pet, including the costs of food and medical care. Research which species (or breeds) best fit your lifestyle. Determine if your living situation allows for pets. Remember- many apartments have restrictions on size and number of pets allowed.
2. Protect your pet. Before bringing your new pet home, be sure to pet proof the house. Provide your pet with a safe environment and clean up after them. For dogs, train them to follow basic commands- it could save their life!
3. Stop pet overpopulation. Do your part to curb pet homelessness. The best way to prevent unwanted litters is by spaying/neutering your pet. And when looking for a new buddy, consider adopting from a local shelter or rescue!
4. ID your pet. Use a collar tag and/or microchip your pet. Find out about local ordinances and register your pet if needed.
5. Care for your pet. Make regular appointments with a local vet and keep your pet’s vaccinations up to date. And when you can’t be there to care for your best friend- hire a professional! The Right Fluff Pet Sitting can help with all your pet care needs, from midday walks to long term vacation care.